Sunday, October 30, 2011

These Pancakes Are "Off the Chain!"

Janice, you made my day when you wrote me the e-mail that said, "OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG These pancakes are off the chain." So this one is for you, Mama!

To get to this recipe, we added together, rearranged, and changed two recipes (one from pecanbread.com and the second was e-mailed to me by my friend Molly). We tweaked enough that this shouldn't match anyone's recipe and if it does then it is because great taste buds ended up at the same spot.

Ingredients
2x 1/4 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup honey
1 cup of butternut squash, already baked
1/2 tsp of Celtic sea salt
1/2 cup of coconut flour
8 eggs
vanilla, optional
cinnamon, optional

Step One: Put the first five ingredients in the blender in the order given and blend well. I'm sure this sounds like I'm micro-managing you. Here is my reasoning:
Put the flour in last or it turns to cement in the bottom of your blender. Even with a Vitamix. Also, use the 1/4 cup measuring cup twice for the coconut oil instead of a 1/2 cup measuring cup so when you measure the honey there is no time or honey wasted as it will come out of the measuring cup easily.


Step Two: Add the eggs and, if desired, vanilla and/or cinnamon. Blend well.

Step Three: Pour a good quantity of coconut oil into a large frying pan on low to medium-low heat. I have an electric stove and our magic number is between the 3 and 4. Another tip: two pans is even better / faster. Last tip: pour the batter into the pan in small quantities so the pancakes are easy to flip.

Pour and flip, check oil in pan, repeat.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. What do you think would happen if I used almond meal instead of coconut flour? I ask because thats what I have on hand. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the delay - the internet (or my cell phone) ate my first attempt!

      I've not tried these with any nut flours because of the oxalate levels. Many families find oxalates to be an important factor in implementing SCD/GAPS. I would bet the almond meal would be delicious and an easy substitute. Did you already try it?

      You could also try the "BeachCakes" recipe I posted in 2012 which is just banana, egg, and vanilla!

      Best of luck and let me know how it goes with the almond meal! Sounds delicious!

      Delete